Monday, August 3, 2009

My Sister's Big Fat Brazilian Wedding

Sitting here after finishing a movie and still can't sleep, so am thinking a bit on Kim's wedding to Ricardo. I bought her two wedding organizers (one for the Brazilian ceremony for Ricardo's family and one for the ceremony to be held in the States... most likely in Florida) and a book for Ricardo called 'The Groom's Instruction Manual'. Thought the organizers would be helpful for Kim since they have pockets to put everything from fabric samples to receipts, along with worksheets and things to help keep everything straight.

She told me that I'm going to be her maid of honor - so I've been looking up what I have to do. I know the wedding(s) are not going to be until at least Spring 2010, but hey - studying in advance is always a good thing and two - I don't want to be responsible for the birth of Bridezilla. :) Kim wouldn't be that way, I'm sure, but better safe than sorry. I am currently looking at the list of Maid of Honor Duties as found on TheKnot.com as a reference for what I'll need to do for her. Some will be kind of difficult in a way since I'm in Virginia and she is in Florida, but let's see how I do so far.


  • Lead the bridesmaid troupe. It's the maid/matron of honor's (MOH) job to direct the other maids through their duties. Make sure everyone gets their bridesmaid dresses, go to dress fittings, and find the right jewelry. Also provide them with the 411 on all prewedding parties.

    Pretty sure I can do some of this... getting people to go to fittings and such might not be possible, but I can schedule things maybe. I can go over things with them too.


  • Help shop for dresses (the bride's and the bridesmaids'). And the MOH pays for her own entire wedding outfit (including shoes).

    Thank goodness for websites and webcams. Have already sent a couple of websites to Kim I think, so it's a place to start. I definitely veto the Scarlett O'Hara curtains dress - biiiig no-no.


  • Offer to help the bride with prewedding tasks, from addressing invites to choosing the wedding colors and nodding enthusiastically when she waxes poetic about wedding cake.

    This I definitely can do, am a task machine! I can't organize my own stuff, but I'm merciless on other people's lists. :)


  • Spread the news about where the bride and groom are registered.

    Can help sign her up for some registries once they get a date set. Will talk with her about what places she would like then.


  • Help the bride change for her honeymoon and take charge of her gown after the ceremony. Arrange for storage in a safe place until she returns.

    Can help with the changing, and will get help with the storage - since I don't live where these are taking place, I will have to get help.


  • Lend an ear. Whether it's about the planning, the marriage, or the registry china patterns, the MOH should assure the bride that she has someone with whom she can share her thoughts. Even if she seems to dwell on the same subjects repeatedly, the MOH keeps listening.

    Easy, here for that anyway.


  • Host or cohost a bridal shower for the bride.

    Might cohost, that might seem logical because some of the wedding party and her friends might not know me. The whole living there thing is important too.


  • Attend all prewedding parties.

    Webcam, anyone?


  • Keep a record of all the gifts received at various parties and showers (or delegate a bridesmaid to handle this).

    Delegate when possible, help when there...


  • Plan the bachelorette party with the bridesmaids.

    Oh the possibilities... *evil laughter*. No, will be good, and will get some help because I don't know what's around.


  • See to it that all bridesmaids get to the rehearsal; coordinate transportation and lodging, if necessary.

    Hotel training does come in handy for these things!


  • Make sure that all bridesmaids get their hair and makeup done, get to the ceremony on time, and have the correct bouquets.

    I'll do my best with the hair (have trouble with my own), but can at least make sure that stuff gets done. Other stuff is just logistics and good labeling.


  • Hold the groom's ring during the ceremony. Safest place to put it? On your thumb.

    Can do this - at least I have big hands, so the ring won't fall off! Just focus on not dropping the thing during the ceremony, and all will be well.


  • Arrange the bride's train and veil before the ceremony begins and just after she arrives at the altar. The MOH might also need to help her bustle the train for easy dancing at the reception.

    Have done this before, will need to see what the gown is before I re-cram on learning to bustle. Have done it before, so it should be ok.


  • Hold the bride's bouquet while the couple exchanges vows.

    Check.


  • Sign the marriage license as a witness, along with the best man.

    Just tell me where to sign, if needed.


  • Stand next to the groom in the receiving line (this is optional; the bride may decide to have attendants circulate among the guests instead).

    Depends on whether she has a receiving line or not...


  • Play hostess along with the other bridesmaids at frequent points during the reception: show guests where to sit, direct them to restrooms, tell them to where to put presents, invite them to sign the guest book, etc.

    I can be gracious, easy enough.


  • Collect any gift envelopes brought to the reception and keep them in a safe place.

    Sure thing, just will have to make sure I carry something to put them in, just in case.


  • Make sure the bride takes a moment to eat something -- refresh her drink, get her a plate of food from the buffet table, or instruct the wait staff to keep her entree warm.

    I'll definitely make her eat, she needs to take care of herself.


  • Dance with the best man during the formal first-dance sequence and possibly be announced with him at the beginning of the party. Also dance with other groomsmen, the groom, and others.

    Hmmm... will have to see what dancing will need to be done, may have to take lessons!


  • Toast the couple after the best man. (This is optional, but it is a nice touch.)

    I'd like to say something for them, at least I have a lot of time to think about what to say. I don't want to mess it up, you know?


  • Troubleshoot emotional crises. In most cases, this will require lots of tissues, hugging, and hair-smoothing. The MOH continues to be a trusted friend, a good listener, and a smart advisor.

    Sisters and MOHs share that duty anyway.


  • Keep the bride laughing. For the stressed-out bride, laughter can be as effective as venting.

    J\I'm a goofball anyway, this shouldn't be hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment